That's cute. I review many mysteries and started my blog as only mysteries. Now I include memoirs and literary fiction but my first love is a good mystery.
Torquay Books
-
I came home from Torquay with an interesting haul of books, and pride of
place goes to Lucy Foley's latest. I'm pleased to say that Lucy has written
an ...
PETER MAY: R.I.P.
-
This is such very sad news. *Peter May*, one of my favorite mystery authors
and friend, passed away suddenly Saturday. He was truly one of a kind.
I had ...
BAPS Shri Swaminarayan Mandir Chicago
-
Well…Wow! This was definitely not what I expected. The grounds are spacious
and magnificent. The architecture is stunning. The BAPS Shri Swaminarayan
Mandi...
The Petrona Award 2026 - Longlist
-
From the press release which was embargoed until 8.00am today:
*Petrona Award 2026 - Longlist*
OUTSTANDING CRIME FICTION FROM FINLAND, ICELAND, NORWAY,...
Review - The Hidden City
-
I have only read and reviewed two prior books in this series, which is a
mystery in itself since I enjoyed them immensely and intended on reading
more in...
Giant Gobstoppers
-
by Sara Johnson, 1st Sunday
Unusual rock formations dot the globe, often in hard to reach places, and
showcase nature’s wonders. Be it volcanic erupt...
Мелбет бонус промокод на сегодня
-
Регистрация в Мелбет без паспорта Компания Melbet давно популярна среди
беттеров. Букмекер предлагает широкий набор спортивных событий,
привлекательные кот...
Wondrous Words Wednesday
-
Wondrous Words Wednesday is a weekly meme where you can share new words
that you’ve encountered or spotlight words you love. Feel free to get
creative! ...
#amreading What Lies Beneath Us, Kirsty Ferguson
-
I'm actually half way through this extremely promising piece of writing.
*From the Blurb:*
Jessica James had the perfect life. She had a good job, suppor...
Out of Mind by Kendall Talbot
-
Title: Out of Mind Author: Kendall Talbot Genre: Romantic suspense Opens:
From the moment Holly climbed into the helicopter, a sense of foreboding
plagued ...
Review: BREAKHEART HILL by Thomas H. Cook
-
I’m very grateful to regular visitor Tracy (who blogs wonderfully herself
at Biter Tea and Mystery) for recommending this book set in her native
Alabama fo...
From Fred Vargas to Kati Hiekkapelto
-
I have finally finished A Climate of Fear after many weeks. This is nothing
to do with the quality of a fine book but more to do with my state of
health an...
>People Like Us….
-
>In real life, murders are committed by all kinds of people from every
social class. Murder victims, too, come from every social class. So do
those who inv...
The quietest drama
-
*Acknowledgements vary between a terse paragraph and pages of prose. How do
you manage them? (And do you read them in others' books?)*
By Dietrich
Somet...
November Treasures in My Closet
-
Treasures are a day early because we do “What Are You Reading?” on
Thursdays. There’s a ton of November book releases, so I need to jump right
in. I hope t...
Short Story Wednesday Epitaph for a Hummer
-
Sorry to use one of my own. I couldn't find one I liked today. This is
from a long time ago, but some things never change. Just sub Tesla for
Hummer, Tr...
Can't Wait Wednesday - September 30th
-
This meme is hosted by Tressa at Wishful Endings.
*Can't-Wait Wednesday* is a weekly meme hosted here to spotlight and talk
about the books we're e...
The Dying Light by Ann Cleeves
-
First Line: *The two girls climbed out of the car and there it was, in all
its glory*.
Devon's summer begins with a heatwave. Lottie and Hannah decide to...
Peter May Is Suddenly No More
-
I can hardly believe this to be true! Scottish playwright and screenwriter Janice
Hally, the wife of award-winning novelist Peter May, posted word this
mor...
Quartet in Autumn by Barbara Pym
-
Picador| 2015| 191 pages| e-book| My own copy| 4* Description: In 1970s
London, Edwin, Norman, Letty and Marcia work in the same office and suffer
the same...
More Than Nuts and Bolts
-
I'm a nuts-and-bolts type of writer, meaning I adopt a blue-collar
approach to putting words on paper as opposed to getting all woo-woo about
the process....
BAPS Shri Swaminarayan Mandir Chicago
-
Well…Wow! This was definitely not what I expected. The grounds are spacious
and magnificent. The architecture is stunning. The BAPS Shri Swaminarayan
Mandi...
Sept. 9 Los Angeles event: Inventing the Page
-
Y’all! I’m delighted that September 9 I’ll be in Los Angeles for what
promises to be a terrific evening in discussion with two authors whose work
I love, T...
Phineas Redux by Anthony Trollope
-
I read Trollope’s second Palliser novel, Phineas Finn, about an Irish
Member of Parliament and his adventures in London, both romantic and
political, back ...
Review - The Hidden City
-
I have only read and reviewed two prior books in this series, which is a
mystery in itself since I enjoyed them immensely and intended on reading
more in...
Giant Gobstoppers
-
by Sara Johnson, 1st Sunday
Unusual rock formations dot the globe, often in hard to reach places, and
showcase nature’s wonders. Be it volcanic erupt...
Moving time….
-
I’ve been reviewing books since the early 2000s, and like most things on
the internet, the platforms have changed along the way. I started on
Blogspot, m...
It’s Good to Talk: Why Dialogue is Fundamental
-
The reasons why humans developed complex speech are still contested, but as
a writer it doesn’t really matter if it’s due to a uniquely shaped hyoid
bone,...
Real Vikings don’t eat quiche
-
New podcast launches This week sees the launch of an epic new podcast
series, Real Vikings, from the Noiser Network. Yes, I know the word epic is
overused....
Weekly Mews: January Wrap Up & February's Maybes
-
I am linking up to the *Sunday Post* hosted by Kim of Caffeinated Book
Reviewer and *The Sunday Salon* (TSS) hosted by Deb Nance of Readerbuzz where
part...
The More Things Change
-
Back in July of 2009, Do Some Damage launched with seven authors on
Blogspot.com.
Now, sixteen years later, the site is moving to a Substack newsletter.
...
TGIF!
-
Cyber security protocols
Well, this is about the 7th try for a GarbAugust 3.5 read for this weekend.
TOMB OF THE QUEEN by Joss Walker (pseudonym for J.T...
Reading fog
-
Well I am getting there with the new hip. Walking so much easier. I am
doing circuits of our communal gardens using crutches but indoors I am
managing with...
Media Murder for Monday
-
It's the start of a new week and that means it's time for a brand-new
roundup of crime drama news: THE BIG SCREEN/MOVIES Roundtable Entertainment
has green...
Book Notices | The Memory Monster by Yishai Sarid
-
Yishai Sarid, The Memory Monster Amazon This short book is written in the
first person and purports to be a letter written by the unnamed narrator to
his b...
Thinking about Second Half of 2023
-
Hello friends. It has been a long while. Longer than I realized actually.
I'm here and reading away, as many books on the go as usual. (Which for me
can be...
Small Mercies - The Return of Dennis Lehane
-
A time honored tradition at The Hungry Detective HQ is to perform the
twice annual, and largely ceremonial, 'Dennis Lehane New book 20XX" Google
search. N...
The Last Hurrah
-
‘Relax will you. It’s just an abandoned warehouse.’
‘Well, it’s giving me the creeps.’
‘We’ll just glance it over and skedaddle. Tomorrow you’ll be a fre...
The Agatha Awards
-
From somewhere in Cyberspace, the winners of this year's Agatha Awards for
mystery writing were announced this evening at a virtual convention of
mystery w...
Rural Crime: The politician speaks
-
*Criminal Minds at Work *is honoured to have Doug Schweitzer, Alberta’s
Minister of Justice and Solicitor General, as a guest today.
In the following op-...
WRITING COURSES FOR 2019
-
*I'm very aware how lucky I am to make a living from writing books (my
dream from being 12 years old).*
*But one disadvantage I had when I was trying to ge...
Oh hey! I moved to Wordpress!
-
I'm still in the process of migrating my old content to Wordpress, but all
new posts will come from estellasrevenge.net (which was formerly forwarded
to th...
Two Mini-Reviews
-
I’m well behind on my Scandi crime reading, and even further behind on
reading. Maybe I’m suffering from a bit of a reading slump; a lot of books
just have...
Book Review: Mudbound by Hillary Jordan
-
In Mudboud (2008), Hillary Jordan’s narrative voice is easily engaging
about a white and black family living in the Mississippi Delta during the
Jim Crow e...
The Nebulous Genre
-
A friend of mine to whom I complained of the relative paucity of comments
on this blog told me it might have to do with so many of my posts dealing
with "b...
Upcoming Events
-
Lit Crawl Belfast:
As part of the Belfast Book Festival, come to No Alibis see me and Rosemary
Jenkinson read from works by our favourite crime authors,...
Twice Honored
-
*Edith here, still riding on a joy cloud!*
Why am I riding on a joy cloud? I learned last week that *Called to Justice*,
my second Quaker Midwife Mystery...
Hail and Farewell
-
Jeff Cohen So that was it. We hope you liked it. This is the 3464th post on
HEY THERE'S A DEAD GUY IN THE LIVING ROOM, and unless someone else
parachutes i...
Stylistic
-
What’s your favorite style of book? Serious? Playful? Humorous? Thoughtful?
Action-packed? Moody? Don’t forget to leave a link to your actual response
(so ...
Celebrating Pat Conroy
-
Happy Birthday to the wonderful Pat Conroy. We miss you.
I'm celebrating him today because he celebrated so many young writers like
me.
The Soullessness of Our New Machines
-
My fellow-blogger at Inside Higher Ed and an insatiable consumer of books,
Joshua Kim, reviewed Tracy Kidder’s new book, A Truck Full of Money, and
I’m gla...
Coming to Mcintyre's • Fearrington Village
-
Straight from the pen of Mcintyre's book buyer and mystery guru Pete
Mock. Don't miss these events--and say howdy to me!
Wednesday, June 22, 6:30
Brian P...
Discover
-
Image courtesy of Faber-Castell Design A few years ago I noticed some of my
favorite quilting blogs were choosing a word for the year. I like that
idea. It...
1 comment:
That's cute. I review many mysteries and started my blog as only mysteries. Now I include memoirs and literary fiction but my first love is a good mystery.
Post a Comment